















Every year my family goes camping in Fort Bragg. It's about 20 miles north of Mendocino. I've been going for 29 years and my mother has also been going since she was little. We always camp at MacKerricher State park, and for the past couple years, we've even tried to camp around the same camp site. Most of the camp sites along the beach have trails where you can walk straight to the beach. You can literally see the ocean from where we camped. It's just amazing!
This year it was just my family, my mother, and my sister and her fiance. Yes, that's right. Chris proposed to Starla watching the sun set. Like I said, we've been coming since we were born, so this is a very special place to us. And now, it's even more special to Starla. Chris is a wonderful guy and we're all very pleased with this engagement. Though they haven't set a date, they'll probably marry sometime next fall.
This year it was nice for Aaron because he had a fishing partner. He and Chris went fishing several times and caught some rock fish and crab. We cooked it up for dinner on our last night. The fish would have been really yummy, although there were way too many bones for me to pick out. Never-the-less, it was neat for Aaron being able to eat his own catch.
The girls had a blast at the beach. Sevrie loved playing in the waves. The water is really cold and there is such a strong undertow that you have to be careful not to go to far in. Coral was scared at first but eventually got her feet wet. I remember Sevrie at this age. She was deathly scared of even the sound of the waves. I remember when she was about 2, we went to this one beach about 5 miles north of where we were camping because it had such a long beach area. We worked our way closer to the water and that was the last of her fear for the ocean. She loves it more than anything now.
I think next year we'll skip the camping and rent a beach house. I just don't see us camping with two 8 month olds. I look forward to keeping this tradition with my family. I have some wonderful memories of camping in Fort Bragg with my grandparents and I look forward to making more with my own family.
5 comments:
Oh how fun! I love family traditions and I think it's so neat that you are now doing this with your own family too. What wonderful memories your kids will have. I'm so not a camper but I think I could camp by the beach- I love the beach.
Congrats to Starla! That's is so neat! Your trip looks like a lot of fun! Next year you should rent an RV and we'll go with you in our little trailer. LOL Thanks for sharing! We should all go sometime! XO
Those are all amazing pictures, but I particularly liked the black & white picture of Coral kneeling down by the water, and the one of Sevrie peeking out through the tent! AWESOME!!
That was a fun time. Sevrie was so great on Her bike,while Coral loved our little walks. LONG LITTLE walks. She can be a turtle at times. I loved it. & You ALL...
Grandma
Love this! I love camping on the coast..it is magical in some way. Maybe I have seen the Goonies one too many times :)
Your girls melt me, they are so sweet!
Post a Comment