Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Pregnancy Update

These pics are of me at 31 weeks, but measuring 37 weeks!

The frontal view of my stomach is pretty scary!!


Most of  you know my situation by now but for those of you who don't,  here's an update of my pregnancy. During the week of Halloween, I was put in the hospital.  I had a scheduled ultrasound that showed my cervix was scary thin.  My doctors were afraid I would go into labor so they booked me on strict hospital bed rest.  I was completely shocked and devastated to say the least.  I was told I would have to remain in the hospital up until I had the babies.  That meant 4-6 weeks in this hospital!!!!!  I had hoped that if we tamed the situation with meds and strict bed rest, they'd let me go home and continue the same level of activity.  But every time I brought this up with the doctors, they said it's not likely to happen.  Well it did happen and 6 days later, they finally gave me the o.k. to go home as long as someone was able to care for me and my family.

April (my mother-in-law) flew in from Utah two days after I was hospitalized and agreed to stay with us until the babies were born.  During my stay in the hospital, I kept trying to convince the doctors they didn't have to worry about sending me home that I would have plenty of help.  But I don't think they initially believed me.  A little part of me thinks they were trying to scare me into bed rest.  One day in the hospital was enough for me.  There was no scare tactics needed.

Between April and my mom, we have made it work.  We (or I should say everyone else) has done a great job in pitching in and dividing responsibilities.  I know it's been hard for everyone, not just me.  My friends have also been a wonderful help. They take the girls for play dates, take Sevrie to dance, and make us wonderful dinners for us.  My family has been really blessed with support, love and prayers.  So thank you all!

As far as my two babes go, they are doing fantastic.  They are growing great and moving a ton.  Because I have two sweeties inside, I can actually feel each baby and I think I can tell what body part I'm feeling.  That's just one of the many amazing things about having twins.  

The goal right now is to get me past 32 weeks.  I guess 32 Weeks is a milestone with twins. However, my goal is to last until at least 35 weeks.  Babies born under 5lbs or before 35 weeks go into the NICU. I want to go home with my babies!!!  I just have this funny feeling that I'll have to be induced.  My doctor said they would probably induce me between 36 and 37 weeks, and I can def. see myself going that far.  In fact, I'm calling it right now.  I will have to be induced.

Thanks again for all of your prayers and support.  I feel very lucky to have such a wonderful family who cares so much about us.  We are very fortunate and can't wait until we get to meet our new editions.  I'll continue to keep everyone updated.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Since I've got the laptop in front of me... I thought I'd post first. Stephanie is definitely a trooper! The meds give her BAD headaches, but she never complains! You can see the pain on her face, though. She's hanging in there, and she has a great attitude.

We have a good system. I take care of the girls (that includes Stephanie) on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. Stacie takes over on Monday and Wednesday (and when I go back home), and Aaron has night and weekend duty. Between pre-school, dance, My Gym, playdates, meals, housework, grocery shopping, naps, and doctor's appointments... we get it all done. Wait! Did I forget anything?

As soon as Aaron gets home from a long day at work, he starts bathtime, jammies, and reading books. He is also the "Enforcer" as far as eating dinner goes. You've GOT to hear him read "Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones." It is the funniest thing EVER! You're supposed to read it with an Oklahoma twang... and he does it beautifully!

Stephanie has a great support system in her friends and neighbors, who are more than willing to lend a helping hand.

EVERYONE is pitching in to make this work and keep those babies right where they belong! THANK YOU!!

Stephanie said...

That last comment was from me (Grammy), but I didn't know I was posting under Stephanie. Oops!

Kirsten said...

I swear, only you, Stephanie, would need to be induced with twins. :) But I bet you're right. That's good though, they'll be so much better of if they're not born until you're closer to 40 weeks.

We're so glad those babies are staying put, you've all been in our prayers. I can only imagine how hard this must all be and I'm really amazed, Stephanie, by your positive attitude. I'm glad it's all working out.

So any name decisions yet? Or do you like to keep that private until birth? SOOO exciting!!

The Gomes Family said...

Glad to hear that April and your mom are pitching in. That is fabulous that you are okay. I am sure those babies will be healthy and if you think you will need to be induced you probably will. I will pray for you all that things will go smoothly!